Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Oatman, Arizona

We left Kathy and her family on Monday and drove to Needles, California which is on the Arizona/California boarder separated by the Colorado river. It was in the high 80's when we arrived at Moabi Regional Park and stayed the night. Lots of TRAINS there but failed to take any pictures. There was even an old Fred Harvey Hotel thats being restored.

We left the next morning and proceeded to take old Route 66 to Oatman, Arizona.
The road was pretty good until we started to climb up the mountain. Now my friend Art had told me about this place and it sounded kinda neat...... Wild Burro's running in the street looking for handouts and some neat old time shops. Well, I apparently misunderstood him, as he drove his car rather than the motorhome to this place....I was driving the motorhome (38 feet) plus towing the car. BIG MISTAKE!!!! First and most important., I need to pay attention to signs that say no trucks over 40' and then we saw no burro's althought we did not stay long enough to see anything more than their droppings. With no room to park or turn around we proceeded to go on to Klingman which turns out to be just over this "hill". I am a reasonably confidant driver, even with the motorhome, as we have had motorhomes for 30 years, but this was white knuckle and hold your breath time.

Marge was taking the pictures while I drove down the middle of the road except when I could hug the side closest to the "hill". She told me later that this allowed her not to view the dropoffs except through the lens and it made her less nervous. There was little or no traffic and what there was pulled off the road for us to get by. I'm pretty sure we did not go over 15 miles per hour until we well down the "hill" on the Klingman side.
This was first great adventure on the trip home may it be the last of this type!!!!